This Page

has been moved to new address

Life in Germany - Grocery Shopping

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Expat in Germany: Life in Germany - Grocery Shopping

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Life in Germany - Grocery Shopping

Perhaps one of the biggest challenges I have faced while living as an expat in Germany is grocery shopping. In Life in Germany - Grocery Shopping I discussed language difficulties which have resulted in several culinary disasters.  An additional challenge is that the availability of fresh fruits and vegetables tends to be what's in season.  The problem is that coming from Canada where you can buy raspberries year round, I have no idea of what is in season.  To date I have returned empty handed while shopping for beets, celery, kale, spinach and raspberries (which for the record are now in season). 

Although I find this extremely inconvenient, eating in season is better for the planet.  Having said that if grocery shopping is my biggest complaint about life in Germany, I'd say that's not much to complain about.

Life in Germany - Grocery Shopping photo courtesy of:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/magro-family/4534535503/

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At August 11, 2010 at 6:16 PM , Blogger shufuinjapan said...

Hi Stuttgartgirl! I just found your blog and I love reading it as I lived in Stuttgart for 3 years until a year or so ago. I loved living there and didn't want to leave, so reading your posts is a really nice way to reminisce. From what I have read you haven't been there that long. Don't worry, in 6 months you will be fine!
BTW I recommend the Bretzels from Frank Bakery - they have a few around Stuttgart eg: Bauernmarkthalle but maybe not so close to Stammheim.

 
At August 12, 2010 at 7:06 AM , Blogger Expat in Germany said...

Thanks so much for your comments shufuinjapn. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your time in Stuttgart and thanks for the encouragement. Also, thanks for the Bretzel recommendation!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home