This Page

has been moved to new address

Life in Germany - Grocery Shopping

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Expat in Germany: Life in Germany - Grocery Shopping

Friday, July 30, 2010

Life in Germany - Grocery Shopping

Grocery shopping has been one of the more challenging aspects of life in Germany.  At first, I would make a list and hope for the best, but learned quickly this wasn't the best strategy after mistakenly buying tomato paste instead of tomato sauce for chili - yuck!  Even something as seemly simple as buying cheddar cheese went wrong since the name for "cheddar" in German is "Gouda".  So now, I make a list, look up all the words in a dictionary and then go grocery shopping.  This strategy works better but is time consuming.

Complicating matters is that I have a gluten allergy so I have to read all the labels (in German) on the lookout for gluten (in German of course).  It's a good thing I have a month before German school starts since my new life in Germany entails an average of an hour a day grocery shopping - everyday since our fridge is tiny (think small bar fridge).  Now I'm off to study German food vocabulary to make life in Germany easier. 

Life in Germany -Grocery shopping  photo courtesy of:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/washingtonydc/3550416296/

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At August 19, 2010 at 10:30 AM , Blogger Frau Dietz said...

Oh I SO sympathise with you. I have a wheat intolerance and drive myself MAD checking labels in the supermarket. My lovely parents-in-law always buy me rye bread when we go to stay, not realising that the rye bread is hardly ever 100% rye and usually also contains wheat... so I end up looking 6 months pregnant on every visit!

 
At December 27, 2010 at 1:14 PM , Blogger MooAtU2 said...

Haha, I did that with tomatoes too. Instead of diced I bought whole in tomato sauce. The translation was "lumpy" but I guess that doesn't mean diced!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home