This Page

has been moved to new address

The Christmas Market in Stuttgart

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Expat in Germany: The Christmas Market in Stuttgart

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Christmas Market in Stuttgart

The Christmas Market in Stuttgart is special, albeit it slightly unusual.  It's special because Stuttgart is home to one of the largest Christmas Markets in Germany, attracting weekend visitors from all over Europe and has been around for 300 years.  The Christmas Market in Stuttgart is nestled between the market square and the old castle and new castle creating a historical atmosphere.  But what really makes the Christmas Market in Stuttgart unusual is the decorating contest.  This isn't any old tree decorating contest, but a wooden roof decorating contest in which each of the 200 vendors decorates their roofs.  You be the judge:
Not surprising at a Christmas Market, Santa Claus was a common theme among many of the competitors
And of course Santa's reindeer 
Several polar bears also made appearances.  Perhaps because they also live at the North Pole with Santa Claus?
This sausage stand included some very clever advertising, which made me laugh out loud when I saw the giant sausage.  
But it wasn't all about Santa Claus and his reindeer.  Manger scenes were also common.
And then there were the rest!

I kept choosing a new "winner" in my head every time I walked pass a new booth.  But in the end, I think my favorite is the first image with Santa Claus and his sleigh and because the white things (which you can't see very well in the photo) are polar bears and being from Canada...well, I just couldn't help it.  Which one would you pick?  I will announce the "real" winner once it has been announced!

More on German Christmas Markets:

You may also be interested in:

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At December 14, 2010 at 1:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see what you mean--Stuttgart looks beautiful at Christmastime! And thanks for adding it to my Favorite Christmas Market Poll on my blog :)

 
At December 14, 2010 at 3:05 PM , Anonymous Nancie said...

Beautiful! No way to pick a winner. I love them all.

 
At December 14, 2010 at 4:08 PM , Anonymous Andrea said...

I've always heard the German Christmas markets are the best - shame we won't be there at this time of the year.

 
At December 15, 2010 at 2:15 AM , Blogger Expat in Germany said...

Thanks for the comments everyone. The Christmas Markets are beautiful and I agree with @Nancie that the judges have an almost impossible task of picking a winner!

 
At December 15, 2010 at 12:26 PM , Anonymous Cathy Sweeney said...

Can't wait to experience a German Christmas market sometime. What fun! I think I like the sleigh decoration the best, but the others all get honorable mentions!

 
At December 16, 2010 at 12:48 PM , Anonymous German Gems said...

The decorations make Stuttgart one of my favorite markets (during the day). I never knew there was actually a contest. Do they take votes and announce a winner?

 
At December 16, 2010 at 1:53 PM , Anonymous Christy @ Ordinary Traveler said...

I like the top photo or the sausage stand! Very cool! Thanks for sharing your photos!

 
At December 17, 2010 at 4:07 AM , Anonymous Robin said...

Nobody does this stuff like the Germans!

 
At December 18, 2010 at 10:05 AM , Blogger Morgenmuffel said...

The Stuttgart Christmas market looks amazing, not sure I am going to get there this year though, but next year I will for sure! Have finally made it to the Esslingen and it is really good, quite atmospheric with the people in costumes and the entertainment and lots of flaming torches instead of electric lights. The Glühwein is deadly but most excellent :D

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home