This Page

has been moved to new address

German Christmas Markets - Ludwigsburg Christmas Market

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Expat in Germany: German Christmas Markets - Ludwigsburg Christmas Market

Thursday, December 2, 2010

German Christmas Markets - Ludwigsburg Christmas Market

I love insider tips from locals and several of my German friends had all given me the same one - go to the Ludwigsburg Christmas Market.  Germany is famous for its Christmas markets and there's a large one in Stuttgart where I live, but I was told that while the Ludwigsburg one was much smaller, it was the one preferred by most of Stuttgart locals and it is only 20km from Stuttgart.  Even J.P. recommended it and said we should go and being a typical German guy he doesn't typically get too excited about anything -especially German Christmas Markets.  I was there faster than you could say "Merry Christmas". 

The Ludwigsburg Christmas Market is in the historic city square nestled between two churches, lined with buildings hundreds of years old.  We went on a cold Sunday night thinking it wouldn't be that busy - we were wrong, it was packed, but at least all the people helped warm us up!
The Ludwigsburg Christmas Market has its own guardian angels!
Adding to the already storybook ambiance are lighted larger than life angels hovering over the German Christmas Market.  I am not particularly religious, but did find it rather comforting, although had I been one of the teenagers sneaking off to make out with my boyfriend, I'm not sure I would have felt the same about those angels, which really are quite big!
Homemade chocolates abound at German Christmas Markets, giving you the impossible decision of trying to choose!
As I quickly discovered, Germans are not there primarily for the beautifully hand crafted goods.  The largest crowds gather in other places at the German Christmas Markets - around the mulled wine and the food stands.  Yes, I think I will get along just fine with the Germans! 

Watch Rick Steves' German Christmas Markets Video.

Which German Christmas Markets would you recommend?

Locations and dates of German Christmas Markets

More on German Christmas Markets:

You may also be interested in:

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At December 2, 2010 at 11:32 AM , Anonymous Cathy Sweeney said...

It all sounds good to me - Lights, holiday atmosphere, food and mulled wine! I think I'd really enjoy these markets.

 
At December 2, 2010 at 12:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to do the Christmas markets in Germany one year. I've spent Thanksgiving in Paris so Christmas in Germany would be fun! :)

 
At December 2, 2010 at 12:10 PM , Anonymous Renee King said...

Laurel,
How quaint, beautiful and magical it all seems...especially with the weather getting chillier...I wish that I was there! Thanks for the tip about the Ludwigsburg Christmas Market!

 
At December 2, 2010 at 12:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE Christmas markets! Being from California we don't really have them here.... I was in Salzburg, Austria a couple years back and experienced a "real" one there. (I wrote about it last month on my blog too). Ludwigsburg looks beautiful! Hopefully someday I can go to Germany during this time of year :)

 
At December 2, 2010 at 2:44 PM , Blogger Morgenmuffel said...

I was already excited about getting to visit my first Christmas Market in a couple of weeks but your pictures are making me even mores so! I am thinking that this might make #20 on your list. I shall let you know how Esslingen's Market is if you don't get there before me that is :D

 
At December 2, 2010 at 3:32 PM , Anonymous Liv said...

Hooray! Christmas markts are the best. I visited Berlin last December and had more than my fair share of gluehwein... mmm...

 
At December 2, 2010 at 4:06 PM , Anonymous Jade said...

Love the market photos- I think it's such an interesting way to discover a city and really know the people through the markets!

 
At December 3, 2010 at 1:56 AM , Anonymous inka said...

There is no shortage of Christmas markets in Germany and each one is different. I like the lights of this one, they are so pretty.

 
At December 3, 2010 at 2:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Christmas market in Nuremberg (Christkindlesmarkt) is probably the biggest and most famous one. The one in Aachen is quite nice as well - we tend to get lots of British tourists there who come with overnight buses ordered specifically for the occasion.

 
At December 3, 2010 at 3:57 AM , Anonymous Robin said...

There is also a good one in Rothenburg Ob Der Tauber!

 
At December 3, 2010 at 7:01 AM , Blogger Expat in Germany said...

Thanks for your comments everyone!
@Cathy - I think you would too, I can't get enough of them!
@struxtravel - I've heard the one in Salzburg is fantastic (I'll check it out on your blog)
@Morgenmuffel - I know what you mean, the more photos I see, the more I want to go to! Let me know how the Esslingen one is.
@Liv - Prost to gluhwein!
@Jade - I totally agree, and you get a good feel for the place.
@Inka - I like the lights of the Ludgwisburg one as well, so many Christmas markets, only one month - sigh!
@jhubert - Nuremberg is definitely on my list, hope I get to it, but we're running out of weekends. Wow, I didn't realize that British tourists came just for the Christmas markets - very cool!
@Robin - thanks for the tip, I'll have to try and get there too!

 
At December 7, 2010 at 9:20 AM , Anonymous Sophie said...

I love the Christmas markets in central Europe. This one looks very pretty :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home