This Page

has been moved to new address

Competition for Germany

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Expat in Germany: Competition for Germany

Friday, November 12, 2010

Competition for Germany

My Dear German Friends,

I am writing this letter with some rather shocking news. Despite your outstanding reputation for punctuality and being noted as one of the most time sensitive cultures in the world, it appears you have competition. No, it`s not from the Swiss, but from the Danes! Note the evidence in the photo above - 1/ 2 minute countdown for a train in Copenhagen. I am sorry to report that I have I`ve never seen this in Germany, or at least not in Stuttgart, where I take the train twice a day. As you can see, I`ve collected the "evidence" on your behalf and have promptly brought this to your attention, should you wish to rectify the matter, which if left unattended, could compromise you international reputation as being (along with Switzerland) the most punctual country in the world. 

Respectfully yours,
Laurel, an Expat in Germany

P.S.  Just to be clear, since I know English is not everyone`s first language, the above letter is written entirely in jest.  I just found the1/ 2 minute countdown amusing and am surprised I haven`t seen it in Germany yet.

Labels:

12 Comments:

At November 12, 2010 at 12:20 PM , Anonymous Andrew said...

We get a flashing picture of a tram when it is under a minute here in Freiburg on the Strassenbahn Lines.

 
At November 12, 2010 at 12:41 PM , Blogger Expat in Germany said...

Very cool! Maybe it's just Stuttgart then :)

 
At November 13, 2010 at 3:45 AM , Blogger Jim said...

Try catching a train in Japan, always on time,...and right in the spot you are supposed to stand.

 
At November 14, 2010 at 12:56 AM , Blogger Katherine said...

I agree with you Laurel and the other comments. Germany is a bit behind considering Germans are supposed to be so punctual. In Barcelona, the metro system had a digital clock counting down the minutes until the next train.

 
At November 14, 2010 at 1:59 AM , Blogger Expat in Germany said...

Jim - I've heard about the trains in Japan, I can't believe there's even a spot to stand, that's efficient!

 
At November 14, 2010 at 2:03 AM , Blogger Expat in Germany said...

I'm quite impressed with Germany's train service, since in Calgary, where I'm from it's not uncommon for a train to be 10 minutes late, but it's interesting to see how well it works in other countries. Interesting that Barcelona's system sounds so good!

 
At November 14, 2010 at 8:22 AM , Anonymous Ayngelina said...

Wow in Canada we'd be lucky to be more or less 10 minutes on time.

 
At November 17, 2010 at 7:29 AM , Blogger Expat in Germany said...

Ayngelina, I completely agree. I just talked to a friend in Calgary and he said his bus was 2 hours late because of snow, then he actually had to get out and help push the bus around a traffic circle :)

 
At November 19, 2010 at 1:21 AM , Anonymous Yoga Holidays said...

haha that's great, I thought being given one minute's notification was good service, but 30 secs is even better!!

 
At November 20, 2010 at 1:08 PM , Blogger Frau Dietz said...

At Frankfurt airport they have a countdown from 180 seconds for the sky train that connects the two terminals... Does that count? :)

 
At November 22, 2010 at 9:41 PM , Anonymous jersuji said...

It looks so good.
It’s very convenient that electronic board said arrival time even before 1/2 minutes.
I guess that traveling Denmark by train is really fast and convenient.

 
At November 29, 2010 at 10:37 AM , Blogger Expat in Germany said...

Frau Dietz - Why have I never noticed that before?

jersuji - train is a great way to travel in Denmark, but I still prefer to travel by bike in Denmark!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home