This Page

has been moved to new address

Top 10 Experiences in Denmark

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Expat in Germany: Top 10 Experiences in Denmark

Monday, November 22, 2010

Top 10 Experiences in Denmark

For me it's what you experience while visiting a place that makes travel so exciting, and sometimes more so than the actual sites themselves.  Here are my top 10 experiences while in Denmark for the TBEX Conference.
 #1.  All the Statues in Odense from Hans Christian Andersen Stories
It's fun to try and figure out which story they're from, plus it keeps Hans Christian Andersen's stories alive!  Any idea which story the photo above is from?  I confess that I had to ask my guide.
#2.   Unique Environmental Initiatives in Denmark
From my short time in Denmark, it appeared to me that the Danish think outside the box.  Above is a carbon-neutral skating rink in Odense.  Denmark is also home to the world's only carbon neutral beer, Global Ale, by Nørrebro Bryghus and the world's greenest hotel, Crowne Plaza Copenhagen Towers to name but a few of the unique environmental initiatives currently found in Denmark. 
#3.  The Copenhagen Cocktail
Another example of innovative Danish thinking, a cocktail named after the capital.  It's tasty, but potent with: 
5 cl. Bols Genever, 2 cl. Cherry Heering Liqueur, 2 cl. fresh pressed lime juice, 2 cl. sugar syrup (Monin)
1 dash Angostura Bitters.  Find out more about The Copenhagen Cocktail and where you can order it.
#4  Bike Rush Hour in Copenhagen
Biking in Copenhagen rush hour was so much fun but not for the faint of heart with almost 40% of the city commuting by bike!  The Danes are in good shape and kept whizzing by us.  It didn't help that we didn't know the right hand signals either.  Fortunately, we all remained unscathed.  For more info see:  5 Things You Should Know Before Cycling in Denmark.

#5.  Meeting Locals
Meeting locals is always one of my favorite things about traveling and I found the Danes exceptionally friendly.  At a kebab shop I was struggling to find the right coins and explained to the cashier that I had only been in Denmark a couple of hours and hadn't figured out the money yet.  He took a few minutes to show me all the different coins and the value of each one.  Talk about making a good first impression for Denmark!  We also had the unique opportunity for a Q&A with circus performers at the TBEX Conference!  I've always wondered how circus performers become circus performers so it was great to hear the stories of two performers, both who gave an impromto performance, as seen above.   I also had the opportunity to meet many local entrepreneurs who were passionate about their businesses and their country.  I don't know the stats on entrepreneurship in Denmark, but it appears to be a very entrepreneurial country.
#6.  Walking Around the Lakes in Copenhagen
I confess, the lakes in Copenhagen look more like rivers to me, but regardless they're beautiful and a popular place to go for a run, or if you're feeling less energetic to do some bird watching - I couldn't believe all the swans!  I spent several hours just wandering around taking in the ambiance.
#7.  J Day in Denmark
J-Day in Denmark marks the first day that Christmas beer is available for sale and its celebration rivals that of New Years Eve.  I had so much fun walking the streets and looking for free beer being handed out by guys in blue Santa Clause suits (see above photo) and was lucky enough to score a light-up blue Santa Clause hat, which now sits on my desk as a reminder of this unique Danish celebration.

#8 The Tinderbox in Odense
I may have mentioned once or twice in previous posts how much I love, love The Tinderbox!  It's a place where children choose from a variety of costumes, based on Hans Christian Andersen's stories and then bring them to life on life-size sets.  It's one of the coolest things I've ever seen for kids!
#9 Train Ride from Copenhagen to Odense
I always think the landscape is the most interesting part of any country and while I'd heard that Denmark is flat, I didn't realize how flat - the highest elevation is 173m!  Nonetheless, I enjoyed seeing a bit of the country side.

#10  Travel Writers and Travel Bloggers I Met at TBEX
A special shout out to my Narrative Travel Blogging Workshop Leaders, Lola Akinmade and Andrew Evans who I learned so much from.  I am grateful to have had the opportunity for them to critique my work thinking "like a mean editor"   I met so many other wonderful travel bloggers and really wherever you go, isn't it really all about the people you meet?

You may also be interested in:
 Top 10 Things to Experience in Odense Denmark
The Tinderbox, Where Children's Dreams Come to Life in Denmark


Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

At November 22, 2010 at 8:53 AM , Anonymous Jools Stone said...

Looks like an excellent place to host a bunch of travel bloggers and what a sweet man helping you with the coins. Good round up Laurel!

 
At November 22, 2010 at 9:23 AM , Blogger Expat in Germany said...

Thanks Jools. The folks at Visit Copenhagen treated us incredibly well and were very welcoming! I loved the guy with the coins, it made such a good impression on me!

 
At November 22, 2010 at 10:43 AM , Anonymous Jeremy B said...

Denmark is one of the places I really want to visit but haven't had a chance to go yet. Thanks for sharing this list and giving me some things to consider - when I finally get to go!

 
At November 22, 2010 at 11:43 AM , Blogger Furia said...

The lakes! The lakes were truly amazing, it was one of my first impressions of Copenhagen

 
At November 22, 2010 at 11:58 AM , Blogger Expat in Germany said...

Thanks Jeremy, hope you're able to make it there one day. I thought I would like Denmark, but loved it!

Furia, I agree, the lakes are amazing!

 
At November 22, 2010 at 1:02 PM , Anonymous Jill Browne said...

Wrapping up some enticing ideas for other visitors, thanks!

 
At November 22, 2010 at 6:04 PM , Anonymous inka said...

Sounds more and more enticing. Great round up and as always, a lovely way of telling things.

 
At November 23, 2010 at 3:16 AM , Anonymous Pula said...

Hik Hik hooray for a J-day! Excellent beer btw!

 
At November 23, 2010 at 7:50 AM , Blogger Expat in Germany said...

Thanks Jill, I'm sure everyone would have their own top 10 list :)
Thanks Inka :)
Pula - yes you gotta love a holiday that focuses on beer :)

 
At November 23, 2010 at 2:59 PM , Anonymous Cathy Sweeney said...

Super top ten list! Wish I had been able to attend TBEX and do these things.

 
At November 23, 2010 at 5:00 PM , Anonymous adventureswithben said...

I'm guessing Rumplestiltskin?

Copenhagen looked great!

 
At November 24, 2010 at 8:42 AM , Anonymous Norbert said...

Denmark is on my list of places I have to go... Wish I had the chance to go to TBEX.

 
At November 25, 2010 at 7:00 AM , Blogger Expat in Germany said...

Thanks Catherine. Hopefully you and Norbert can make the next TBEX Conference. It surpassed my expectations and I would highly recommend it.

adventureswithben - good guess, but nope.

 
At November 29, 2010 at 10:02 PM , Anonymous Devin the Travel Writer said...

I am a huge fan of Denmark and one day hope to live there. Still having my doubts about Tbex though.

 
At December 1, 2010 at 10:15 AM , Blogger Expat in Germany said...

When I was there I kept thinking it would be a great place to live as well. I really enjoyed the TBEX presenters, although there were some logistical challenges.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home