This Page

has been moved to new address

Online Advent Calendars - Perfect for Travelers

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Expat in Germany: Online Advent Calendars - Perfect for Travelers

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Online Advent Calendars - Perfect for Travelers

Not to date myself, but when I was growing up there was no such thing as an Online Advent Calendar.  I did have regular advent calendars though growing up in Canada, and loved them.  I remember racing out of bed each morning to open the next door of my advent calendar to see what that day would bring.  My favorite advent calendars were the ones that contained chocolate.  It was the only time we were allowed to eat chocolate before breakfast.  I haven't had an Advent Calendar in years, but plan to this year since I'm living in Germany and advent calendars were first invented by Germans. 

An online advent calendar is a modern twist on an old tradition and while there's no chocolate in an online advent calendar (...sigh), you do get other treats that may include short films, games, trivia, art work or acoustical treats, depending on the calendar you choose!  I love the idea of an online advent calendar, especially for travelers who are spending Christmas away from family and friends.  An online advent calendar can be a great way to stay connected through the holidays - you can agree on an online advent calendar, then "open" the same door each day, thinking of the other person as you do so.  I think an online advent calendar would work especially well for travelers wanting to  keep in touch with nieces/nephews, or kids of friends back home as well.

Here are a few interesting ones that I've found:
 The holidays can be tough on travelers who may be missing family and friends more than usual.  I know that one of my favorite things about the holidays is seeing my friends more often and reconnecting with people I haven't seen for a while.  Spending the holidays in a different country, where Christmas may not even be celebrated can be tough, especially if you are traveling alone or haven't made any friends yet.  An online advent calendar is one way that may help you to feel connected with those you are missing!  I know that I certainly plan to try it this year!

Please share any links to good online advent calendars that you have found.

You may also be interested in:
How to Celebrate Christmas While Living Abroad
Elf Yourself - Great for Travelers
5 Facts About Christmas in Germany
5 Tips for Going to a Christmas Market in Germany

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At November 26, 2010 at 3:45 AM , Anonymous Robin said...

A really nice idea for family members or loved ones to share the holiday season when apart.

 
At November 26, 2010 at 12:54 PM , Blogger Expat in Germany said...

I think so too. I have not tried an Online Advent Calendar before but will do so this year.

 
At November 26, 2010 at 1:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a really cool idea! I didn't even suspect online Advent calendars were out there!
I can only imagine what some of those "acoustical treats" are--I'll have to check it out myself.

Hope you're having a good start to your first Christmas away too!

 
At November 28, 2010 at 4:36 AM , Blogger Expat in Germany said...

I found out about them kind of by accident, but there are quite a few out there. The "acoustical treats" sound interesting, as do the "digital treats".

 
At November 29, 2010 at 9:23 AM , Anonymous Norbert said...

This is really cool! I never had an advent calendar (sigh...). I guess they were not popular in Puerto Rico.
I might try one of the above this X-mas.

 
At November 29, 2010 at 11:03 AM , Blogger Expat in Germany said...

@Norbert No advent calendar? Awww....If it's your first, I'd really recommend one with chocolate :)

 
At November 30, 2010 at 6:16 AM , Blogger Julia said...

Woooow. Also not showing our age, but like you, we always had the traditional advent calendar. Obviously, they're hard to come by here in Turkey so these online ones (that we never knew existed) are great. I'm feeling all festive and excited now!! Thanks! :)

Germany must be all Christmassy now?

 
At December 1, 2010 at 10:11 AM , Blogger Expat in Germany said...

@JayP I think they're perfect in countries where it's difficult if not impossible to buy an advent calendar. Germany is very Christmassy, the Christmas markets have all started which I'm enjoying!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home