This Page

has been moved to new address

Hiking in the Black Forest

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Expat in Germany: Hiking in the Black Forest

Monday, September 27, 2010

Hiking in the Black Forest


I absolutely love hiking in the Black Forest!  I get excited every time I see the Black Forest getting closer and closer.   This past weekend it was my turn to choose a hike.  When I told J.P. that I had found the perfect hike, he got a smile on his face and said "Let me guess, we're hiking in the Black Forest to a castle."    What can I say, I'm predictable.  But this time, he wasn't quite right - this time I choose a castle ruin, not just a castle  -Ruine Hohenschramberg.  Hmmm...that will show him! 


Visit Ruine Hohenschram while hiking in the Black Forest
It was a rainy day for hiking in the Black Forest, but fortunately for us that meant that we had the whole castle ruin to ourselves!  I couldn't believe it, a whole castle ruin all to ourselves!  J.P. was less impressed, pointing out that it was likely because Ruine Hohenschramberg isn't all that well known (you won't find it in any Lonely Planet book), it was pouring rain and Hohenschramberg is located in a small town.  "Details, details" I dismissed with a wave of my hand.  We have a whole castle ruin all to ourselves!

Sausages and potato salad at the hut while hiking in the Black Forest
After enjoying the castle ruins we continued hiking in the Black Forest and headed to a marked hut which our hiking book said was famous for its sausages.  What it didn't say was that sausages were the only thing on the menu and I'm not much of a sausage person.  Nonetheless, it hit the spot and the potato salad was delicious.  After we dried off a bit, we headed back out hiking in the Black Forest.  We were soon soaked again, but I couldn't wipe the smile off my face, it's not everyday a girl from Canada gets a castle ruin all to her herself.

See also:
Hiking in the Black Forest (for another hiking in the Black Forest adventure)
Farmhouses in the Black Forest
Hiking in Germany

Castles in Germany:  Hiking to Hohenzollern Castle
Hiking the Swabian Alps

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At September 27, 2010 at 9:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pah... it might be a ruin to you and me, but any half decent German estate agent will say it's a perfect home for a "hobby-handwerker"...

 
At September 27, 2010 at 4:36 PM , Anonymous Julie Heinrich said...

I love these pictures. Thank you for sharing. I have never been to Germany but my husbands family is from there. One of these days we'll make it there for a visit.

 
At September 28, 2010 at 12:59 AM , Blogger Barbara said...

Hi, I'm finally visiting your blog after finding you through your comment on mine (post on Schwetzingen), thank you for that. How fun to find a blog by a fellow expat in S. Germany. I agree that hiking is one of the main delights of living here. There's virtually no private property, and everything is wonderfully organized and marked, with convenient huts for hearty meals just when you need one. I'll be curious to follow your blogs. Barbara

 
At September 30, 2010 at 2:19 PM , Anonymous Jakob said...

Those ruins look so cool! I would so love to go over there and check them out for myself!

 
At October 1, 2010 at 12:23 PM , Blogger Expat in Germany said...

Thanks for your comments everyone. Planetgermany, I had never thought of a ruin as a "hobby-handwerker", only in Europe :)

 
At October 4, 2010 at 9:00 AM , Anonymous web design hamilton said...

Isn't in these mountains the Danube's spring?

 
At October 4, 2010 at 11:33 AM , Anonymous Spousal Visa said...

Wow very nice snaps. It is a very great place for visiting and spend holidays. Thanks for sharing this information.

 
At October 10, 2010 at 10:23 AM , Blogger Expat in Germany said...

This you're right, the Danube starts in the Black Forest :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home