This Page

has been moved to new address

Happy in Germany

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Expat in Germany: Happy in Germany

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Happy in Germany

Today I feel the utmost gratitude that I am genuinely happy living as an expat in Germany.  The same cannot be said for all expats.  Today, we had a new student in our class.  He is from the U.S. so I was thrilled to have another native English speaker in the class.  My enthusiasm was short lived though as within mere minutes of meeting him, he started complaining how much he hated Germany, how boring it is here and that he had no idea how he would survive the two years he would be here for his wife's job.  I assumed that he had been here awhile to feel so strongly about living in Germany, but it turns out he has been here three days, yes that's right, three days.  I sincerely hope he is just experiencing the initial culture shock that sometimes happens when you move to another country and that soon he will be able to adjust his attitude, otherwise it will be a long miserable two years for him. 

Coincidentally, today I was also speaking German with a Russian student in our class.  Through our limited German, I still managed to find out that he is married and has a son.  I asked if his wife was also learning German.  He said no, that she needed to stay home with their son.  She doesn't speak any German, so while I haven't met her, I can only imagine how lonely she must be in a new country, unable to communicate, and unlikely to be able to do so in the near future.  Financially it makes sense for him to learn German first, since he is an Engineer and once his German language skills are better he has excellent job prospects, but my heart goes out to her. 

I am in Germany under very fortunate circumstances.  My fiance, J.P. is German and able to navigate me through the day to day language and cultural struggles I face.  He has opened his friends to me so that I am making connections and friendships much more quickly than I would on my own.  I am able to study German full time, thus enabling me to grasp the language much more quickly than if I was taking a night class, which many expats do.  There are clubs in which English is the spoken language thereby providing me additional outlets for speaking English and the opportunity to make friends.  Today, I have gratitude pouring out of my heart.  I am indeed a lucky girl to be happily living as an expat in Germany!

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At September 14, 2010 at 7:58 AM , Blogger shufuinjapan said...

Sounds like your classmate might be suffering a bit of culture shock. Hopefully he comes right after he gets used to things a bit more. After 3 days I would hardly say he has an informed opinion! I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying being an Expat in Germany! Maybe your good attitude will rub off on your classmate! :)

 
At September 14, 2010 at 8:32 AM , Blogger Expat in Germany said...

I agree and was just surprised at how strong his opinions were after 3 days. I think a lot of being happy as an expat depends on your attitude and ability to adapt.

 
At September 14, 2010 at 10:26 PM , Anonymous Riayn said...

He hates Germany after only 3 days?? How is that possible unless he came to Germany expecting to hate it because it is nothing like the US.
I really hope he has an attitude adjustment & soon or else I suspect his marriage will be over in less than 2 years.

 
At September 15, 2010 at 2:53 AM , Anonymous Michelle said...

Some people make the most of life, some people just waste it...

I am back in German classes in the evenings and I am definitely envious that you can concentrate on it more than what I've been able to do. Anyway, keep it up and enjoy the good days - there will be the challenging times as well!

 
At September 15, 2010 at 8:04 AM , Blogger Snooker said...

Well get that man a subscription to Toytown Germany. They need another expat whiner to round out the 1000 or so they already have.

Seriously, in general people are happy or depressed throughout their lives. People who are normally happy will usually adjust to new situations better. People who are prone to depression will simply flounder. I wish him the best of luck.

 
At September 15, 2010 at 8:49 AM , Blogger Expat in Germany said...

Thanks for all your comments. Agreed on all points. I haven't made the effort to talk to him since that conversation, but I will try again tomorrow....stay tuned....

 
At September 15, 2010 at 9:22 AM , Blogger Rosanne Dingli said...

Getting used to stuff is done differently by different people. Some put on a brave smile and charge ahead, others dither and hold back... there are as many different survival styles as there are panic buttons.

 
At September 15, 2010 at 9:35 AM , Anonymous German Gems said...

I too, hope Mr US is still adjusting. Some attitudes change over time, some don't. It may be more difficult for him since most trailing spouses are female. He needs to join the local sports team or another local club where he can meet more guys and have some fun.

Kudos to you for recognizing how fortunate you are.

 
At September 15, 2010 at 10:03 AM , Blogger Expat in Germany said...

Good point Rosanne.

Agreed German Gems and perhaps having his wife being the primary bread winner is very difficult for him. I like you suggestion of joining a local sports team. Perhaps I will suggest this to him when I talk to him next.

 
At September 15, 2010 at 10:09 PM , Anonymous Issiana said...

He probably came to Germany with preconcieved ideas and decided to not like it from the very start. Well, then maybe you can help change his mind, being a fellow native speaker yourself he''l likely relat eto you more

 
At September 30, 2010 at 2:19 PM , Anonymous Things to Do in TN said...

It is not easy to adjust to new place for every one. It takes a while. It happened with me too.
when I came to USA, though I did know the langauge. I hope he will feel good soon.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home